Lillian Maria Austin
She was married 11 April, 1899, in Edmonton (Greater London) to Francis (Frank) King (b. Widford, 25 February, 1873). Registered at the Register Office, District of Edmonton, County of Middlesex: "Frank King (28), bachelor, general labourer and Lilian Austin (20), spinster. His father: William King, bricklayer and her father, James John Austin, tobacconist.' Witnesses to the marriage were Charles William Albert Austin and Monica Austin.
At the time of her marriage, Lillian was living at 93 Chesnut Road, Tottenham and Frank's address was 20 Stonebridge, Road, Tottenham.
The 1881 Census (Middlesex Co.) indicates that she is age 2, and that her birth was in the parish of St. Giles in the Fields, London. In the 1901 Census, she is age 25, residing in Tottenham; born, London, Holborn. In a Barnardo-related document of 1907, she is 32 with 3 children, living with her parents, at 8 Bertram Road, Enfield.
standing - centre: Frank King, Monica Kelly Austin, Lilian Maria Austin King (holding Alfred King), Ellen May King, James John Austin (note cigar), Irene Pretoria King
She remembered seeing the funeral procession of Queen Victoria.
Coming with her husband Frank, and family, to Canada in 1907, she lived first at Oakville and then at Burlington, Ontario. She was pregnant while travelling by boat and the child, Florence, died that year and was buried in a graveyard on the Third Line, Oakville.
She was a laundress in Burlington. The family lived at various locations in the village of Burlington.
Lillian died on 17th September, 1956 in Hamilton, Ontario. (She was living with her daughters Irene and Margaret on Hamilton 'mountain.') I remember visiting them in 1957 when the processional of the visiting Queen Elizabeth II went by their doorway on Upper James Street, Hamilton.
She is interred in Burlington at Greenwood Cemetery.
The children of Lillian Maria Austin and Francis King were:
1. Frank King - born in 1900 - Tottenham (Greater London), England and died there in 1901.
2. Lilian Monica Pretoria King - born 27 March, 1901, 2 Sperling Road, Totttenham - died 18 May, 1983, Victoria BC. Married to Horace Du Vernet, whose father was a prominent Archbishop in British Columbia. She had her 6th birthday on the boat, coming to Canada in March of 1907. In the 1901 Census, she is 5 days old; residence: Tottenham. (Therefore Census was done on 22nd of March.) She preferred one 'l' in her name - Lilian, as is spelled Mary Lilian Almas Barber, my mother.
4. Alfred William King - born 19 December, 1904, Cheshunt, Herts - died 29 September, 1983, Detroit, Michigan; married 9 November 1945 to Bernadette (Unknown).
5. Florence King - born 1907, Oakville, ON - died Oakville, 1907 - buried in a cemetery on Third Line, Oakville, Ontario.
6. Charles William King - born 5 October, 1909, Oakville, ON - died 4 December, 1985, Burlington; buried in Halton Hills, Cemetery - married Beatrice Brown (died in Spring of 1998). Issue: Alan, Richard. Beatrice's 2nd husband: Al Fowler.
7. William King - born 28 October, 1910, Oakville, Ontario - died 15 May, 1898, Burlington, Ontario; spouse: Mary Smith; issue: William
8. Margaret King - born 4 March, 1912, Oakville, Ontario; married 31 March, 1932, Claude Green (1909 - 1959); issue: Donald Green (d. 1996, St. Albert, Alberta)
9. Irene Monica King - born 13 September, 1915, Burlington, Ontario - married in 1938 to Arthur Boyd (died at Huntsville, Ontario, 15 May, 1983); issue: Kennth, Sandra, Charles
10. Francis (Frank) Sydney King - married 6 JUne, 1921 to Mary Luella Farr (born 8 December, 1921, Welland, ON - died 16 May, 1989, Cobourg, ON); issue: Barry Franklyn King and Laura Ann King.