Bransdale, North Riding of Yorkshire
Bransdale, towards Bransdale Head (or Cockayne - with St. Nicholas in distant - centre )
Bransdale a large dale - part of Kirkbymoorside parish, in the Moors area of the North Riding of Yorkshire. Bilsdale is over the ridge from Bransdale (on the west) and from its east side top (Rudland Rigg), one moves east to Farndale.
Cowl House - the residence of Newark Wilson and Hannah (Wood) Wilson, is located on the west side of Bransdale. They are buried at St. Nicholas (a chapel-of-ease for Kirkbymoorside parish), at the north end of the dale, called Cockayne. Between Cockayne and Cowl House still stands (though empty) a methodist chapel, just south of Cornforth House. Both the chapel and Cornforth House were built by ancestor William Moon in the 1800's.
The Strickland family's Bransdale Mill is also near Cockayne. Newark Wilson and Hannah first lived in a house associated with the mill, when they were first married, and before they moved to farm at Cowl House.