The John Partridge family lived in Christow parish, Devon, during the mid to late 1800's. Mary Jane Partridge (b. 4 April, 1847, Christow), daughter of John Partridge and Mary Henley, married Josiah Lambshead on the 7th of April, 1868.
St. James - Christow parish church
Actually, the Partridge family lived just west of the village of Christow - at 'Kinnock cottage,' just south of the Kinnock (or Kinnick) Resevoir, which has become a popular fishing area in the district. Land was flooded to make the resevoir in 1884. It was also in 1884 that the Lambshead family emigrated to Canada. via Burnley Lane, Lancashire.
The Josiah Lambshead family lived with his in-laws (the Partridges) there, just prior to the Lambsheads leaving to come to Canada (after a short stay in the village of Burnley Lane, Lancashire - which is a few miles north-west of Liverpool).
CHRISTOW in the hundred of Wonford, and in the deanery of Dunsford, lies about seven miles from Exeter, and about five from Chudleigh. The manor belonged to the abbey of Bec, in Normandy. (fn. 28) After the dissolution it was granted to John Lord Russell, in whose family it continued some descents. It has long been held with that of Canon-Teign.
The manor of Canon-Teign belonged to the abbot and convent of de la Valle, in the diocese of Evreux, in Normandy, by whom it was conveyed, in or about the year 1268, to the prior and convent of Merton, in Surrey. After the Reformation, it was granted to John Lord Russell, and was alienated by him to John Berry, Esq., who, having been engaged in the rebellion of 1549, was taken prisoner, carried to London, and executed for treason. (fn. 29) This estate was granted to William Gibbs, (fn. 30) Esq. In the following century it was in the family of Gibbon, whose heiress is supposed to have brought it to Davy. Dr. Davy, the last of the CanonTeign branch, died in 1692. This estate passed by the foreclosure of a mortgage to the Helyar family, who some time resided at Canon-Teign. The manors of Canon-Teign and Christow were sold in 1812 by the late William Helyar, Esq., of East Coker, in Somersetshire, to Sir Edward Pellew, now Lord Viscount Exmouth. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment. (fn. 31)
During the civil war, Canon-Teign was garisoned for the King, and was esteemed a strong fort. In the month of December, 1645, it was taken by Sir Thomas Fairfax, and the command given to the parliamentary colonel, Okey, who afterwards suffered as one of the regicides. (fn. 32)
The barton of Kennich belonged to the Helyars: having passed by sale to Seymour, it was alienated by that family to Mr. Joseph Loveis, the present proprietor. Pope-house belonged formerly to the priory of Cowick, near Exeter, and is said to have been held by some Grey Friers under that monastery.
In the parish church are monuments of the families of Gibbon (fn. 33) and Davy (fn. 34) of Canon-Teign. The church of Christow belonged to the abbey of Bec, and having been seized by the crown as the property of an alien priory, was granted to the abbey of Tavistock, and became appropriated to that monastery. Upon the sale of Mr. Helyar's estates, the tithes were purchased by the several landholders. Lord Exmouth is now patron of the vicarage. There was formerly a chapel at Canon-Teign, and another at Kennick.