A hamlet in the parish of Fressingfield, Chepenhall has at various times been called and spelled: Chepenhale, Chevenall, Chippenhall, Cibbenhala, Cybenhalla and Cipbenhala. It is situated just a few miles south of the village of Fressingfield.
From Domesday Book: Cebbenhala / Cibbe- / Cipben- / hala / Cybenhalla: Robert Malet's mother and Walter, Humphrey and Walter son of Grip from her; Abbot of St. Edmund's before and after 1066; Hervey de Bourges. 1½ churches.
In the 1200's it belonged to a monastery. In 1296 the manor was held of Wm. de Chepenhale and Edward de Chepenhale. It was later owned by Robert de Ufford, Thomas Ufford and John Ufford (who died in 1393).
In 1545 it was owned by Anthony Rouse and then by his son, Thomas who in 1559 sold it to George White. He had licence to alien the manor to Nicholas Barber and his heirs. In the 10th year of Elizabeth 1st Nicholas was succeeded by his son Francis (died 1597) and the manor passed to his son, Nicholas (who died in 1640). He was married to Anne Robson (or Messenger?) and when he died his son Nicholas received the manor. This Nicholas died in 1690 and the manor passed to his son William (born in 1664), and from him to his son, the Rev. Wm. Barber. In 1695 William Barber sold Chepenhall to Francis Sancroft, the father of Archbishop Sancroft.
Chepenhall is now a Guest House operated by Barbara and Jakes Sargent. See also the AA Guest Accomodation Site.
Ancient Chepenhall Land Transfers
- Volume of original charters and other documents relating to the Cistercian
Abbey of St Mary, Sibton and the Benedictine Priory of St Mary, Bungay
- ref. HD 1538/345/1 - date: c.1200-1558
FILE - Evidences of title - ref. HD 1538/230/1-40 - date: Early 13c.-1613
From Site: http://papayne.rootsweb.com/private/d0026/f0000080.html
The first member of the Wynter family to achieve a position of any note in East Anglia was William Wynter, John's father, who twice served as sheriff of the joint bailiwick of Norfolk and Suffolk. From his father, John inherited in 1398 the manor and advowson of ‘Toun’ Barningham, where they lived, together with lands close to the same parish in north Norfolk in Aldborough, Matlask, Wickmere, Plumstead, Baconsthorpe and Bessingham, and probably also the manors of Egmere and Wighton which his father had purchased. It was apparently he himself who acquired their manor in Bodham.4 Through two of his marriages Wynter extended the family holdings beyond the borders of the county.
The manor of Chepenhall near Fressingfield in Suffolk, which he came to possess, was apparently the inheritance of his second wife's mother, Eva Hethersett; while his third wife, Eleanor, held as jointure from her previous union with Ivo Harleston manors in Bumpstead, Wimbish and Roydon (in Essex) as well as another in St. Clement's parish in Cambridge. The Harleston estates were to be assessed in 1412 for the purposes of taxation at £37 a year, but this was probably an underestimation. Wynter enjoyed an income from them for the last eight years of his life, after which they reverted to his stepson, John Harleston† . From the 1370s the Wynters had also had an interest in the manor of ‘Loundhall’ in Saxthorpe (Norfolk), principally as trustees on behalf of John Gurney and his father, and in 1409 our MP purchased it from Gurney's widow.
William Winter's son John was MP for Norfolk in 1409, presented to the church in 1412 and held the manor by 3 parts of a fee from the earl of Norfolk. His daughter Elizabeth (by his second marriage) released her rights to the manor of Chebenhale in 12 Henry IV (1411) to Simon de Felbrigge and also her lands in Fressingfield, Suffolk formerly belonging to Sir Walkeline de Herteshale.
Back to Main Index Page