Adam Bowman Almas Sr. (1780 - 1871)
Adam Bowman Almas, Jr., was born in New Jersey in 1780 and died in Lynden, Ontario, in 1871. He is buried at the Church of the Ascension, Hamilton, ON. He married Elizabeth Kitson (born 1794, Niagara Township, Ontario; christened 10 January, 1795 at Niagara-on-the-Lake). Elizabeth was the daughter of John F. Kitson and Margaret Windecker. She died in Barton Township.
He married, secondly, Elizabeth Swartz. Little is known about her.
In the War of 1812, Adam was a private in the 5th Lincoln Militia (2nd Flank Company). He was living in Beverly Towship in 1833. In 1821, Adam's father (Christian Almas) had purchased a parcel of land - the North half of Lot 6, Concession 1, in Ancaster Township. This land he gave to Adam in 1839 and he was living there still in 1852 (according to the Census of that year). The Census states: family of 10; 4 acres under cultivation; under pasture - 4 acres; underwood lot 6 acres; 1 milch cow; 20 butter cows; 2 pigs.
The children of Adam Bowman Almas, Sr., and Elizabeth Kitson were
1. Adam Bowman Almas Jr., - born 1816, Ancaster Township, Wentworth County, ON - died 1880; buried in Hamilton
2. John F. Almas - born 1818; married: Rachel Ann Little; Issue: Sarah Elizabeth, Diana Jane, Rosanna
3. Mary Magdalina Almas - born 1814; buried Clump Cemetery, S. Dunfries Twp., Brant Co, ON; married Ebenezer Willson
4. Henry Almas - born 1814; died 1899; buried: Fremont Cemetery, Mayville, Tuscola Twp., MI; m. Eliabeth (Martha) Vroman
5. Christopher Frederick Almas - born 1811 - died 1895
1851 Census of Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
about Adam Almas Name: Adam Almas
Estimated birth year: abt 1787 (sic)
Birthplace: Canada West
Province: Canada West (Ontario)
District: Wentworth County
District Number: 41
Sub-District Number: 390
Back to Main Index Page