The Newman Family West Flamborough Township, Wentworth County, Ontario
The Newman family was one of the original settlers in the north side of the marsh bordering Coote's Paradise. In this area also settled the Mordens, Frances, Harmer, Hopkins, Lyons, Everetts, Rasberrys, Nevitts and Desjardins. South of the York Road, on the land owned by James Harmer, amidst weeds and desolation, is what's left of the old Hopkins Cemetery.
The district is now a bird sanctuary, part of the Royal Botanical Gardens, which contains about 500 acres. Captain Coote, of the King's Regiment, was a sports-lover with a great love for this district; his comrades nicknamed the area Coote's Paradise. Bordering on the marsh was the Rasberry farm of 210 acres.
James Newman (1813 - 1884) and Anne Hayes (1818 - 1905) lived here with their family. Their daughter, Jane, was the wife of David Almas.